Birthday Party & Wedding Trends 2016
BIRTHDAY PARTY & WEDDING TRENDS 2016
It may seem a bit late to be covering the 2016 wedding and birthday party trends in July but actually this is the height of wedding and party season. Although, we can’t all be lucky enough to have a birthday in the summertime (Oh how I always wished for a summer party- alas, I am a winter baby!), these party styling trends are perfect for many other celebrations and events too. I work with many event planners all summer long for promotional events with charities and big companies and wedding planners helping their brides count down the days until they walk down the aisle. So this is a roundup of the most requested items from my shops this summer. Right now is the perfect time to share what is popular at birthday parties and at all events. Let’s count it down –
1. Confetti & Confetti Balloons – Balloons have always been popular at events but now the oversized clear balloons filled with colorful confetti is way better and makes an even bigger statement. Custom Balloons could be brilliant for a kids party, giving it your own personal touch. They look great flanking either side of a party table or lining an entryway or bundled up in a bouquet with some smaller confetti balloons. Big balloons in bright colors or big polka dot balloons are also trending at kids birthday parties and confetti in every design and style sprinkled here and there for a splash of color- so go for it and add some giant sized POP to your next party!
2. Tissue Tassels – As full garlands, hanging from balloons, or anywhere at the party. Use them behind the party table or draped in front of it, at the photo area, hang them vertically at door entrances- or just about anywhere.
3. Pinwheels – Yep, they really never seem to go out of style at a party and are the perfect fun activity for the kids in the summertime. Be sure to add some XL size spinning pinwheels in the yard and some varying sizes at the party table as a table centerpiece to add some height. Wedding pinwheels are perfect for the non-traditional bride too.
4. Rainbow Colors – Who needs a party theme when rainbow pretty much covers it. No need to worry about finding flamingo food picks and everything else in a pink bird design. . . when you go with Rainbow you can have an art coloring party, a Very Hungry Caterpillar party, a My Little Pony Party, a Candyland Party, a Crayola Party. . . or just a Rainbow Party with everything you need down to the plates, cups, favor bags / favor boxes and decorations in a vibrant mix of many colors. Using rainbow colors is the easiest way to decorate your next party.
5. Metallics & Glitter – Gold was so last year. . . yet, gold is still very popular but the new metal is rose gold and copper. Tissue tassels in gold and silver are super hot right now. Everything glitter is still the way to go too- from cut letter banners to cupcake toppers – in any sparkling glitter color.
6. Laser Cut Party Items – Everything from cake toppers at weddings and birthday parties to individual cut letters on a banner, to drink stirrers, and even small customized designs and shapes for your theme added to anything at the party. Cut from wood or acrylic is the rage but the knock offs in felt fabric and cardstock are just as wonderful too.
Everything personalized in custom laser cut designs and in custom designer prints is huge right now and you can get just about everything in any cut font lettering or print pattern- even party hats!
7. Yacht Rock Music – Okay, you are probably not going to play this at a kids birthday party but this lighter rock from the 70’s and early 80’s is huge right now at adult parties and especially at wedding receptions. Why? It is fun but also relaxing, yet upbeat, and every generation can dance to it. The cover bands are so into it right now that most dress in either nautical attire or 1970’s clothing to add to the theme.
8. Succulents – Yep. Even at a children’s party. Especially at an outdoor party. They look stunning, are very affordable, and can withstand the heat. At a birthday party – they make a nice added live floral touch (if you can find them blooming, even better) at the table, anywhere around the outdoor seating area – or they make wonderful guest gift favors at a wedding or at an adult party.
9. Hanging Fans – These are not really new for 2016. . . but they are still being utilized at just about every bridal shower, baby shower, and at kids parties. They are the most affordable way to create a larger backdrop or photo background and come in soooo many designs and colors. You can buy them in individual colors and layer them to coordinate to your party or shop around for designs in any theme – including flowers, western, and rainbow. Hanging Paper Fans are so versatile too – they can be adhered them to a wall with removable and peelable sticky tabs or simply hanging them in a row or randomly from the ceiling.
10. Black Chalkboard – It has been around now for a while but guess what? It is still very ‘in’ and very utilized at all kinds of events and particularly at weddings. Black chalkboard labels are the least expensive way to incorporate this trend at an event but now it can be found sewn into tablecloths, made into placemats and table runners, and cut into fun designs and shapes as party decorations and favors. Actual boards painted in black chalkboard paint are perfect for signage and decorating any way you want at your next event. So black is the new black for 2016 and you can’t go wrong adding it somewhere at your party.
11. Butterflies & Flowers – These are not just for little girls anymore. Although, yes, very popular still at First Birthday parties and all age parties- they can now be seen on wedding cakes and at baby showers as banners and edible favors. So many ways to decorate your event with them too! They are available in felt fabric and paper.
12. Bohemian Outdoor Everything – There was a moment when I thought Boho was just about on the way out as a trend . . . and then summer 2016 came with an abundance of teepees, feather garlands, and dream catchers at so many parties. There’s no such thing as bring too much at a party, especially if you are hosting it. If you’re thinking of going all out, you could look into something like buy festoon lighting online, which allows you to add another element to the bohemian theme and it adds more style to the party. Plus, it is great for photo taking at night! If you are also thinking about getting photos taken at your party then why not also think about getting something like these Instagram Frames to make your photos just that much better. I love this bohemian theme though because it is laid back and chill. So go ahead, get your hippie on and hang in the outdoors!
Thanks for stopping by the blog today. Remember to stop by all my shops for all your party decorating designs –