DIY PARTY PROP DECOR PROJECT
This decorative fluffy cloud project is so fun and easy using wheat paste and pillow stuffing! I love this DIY Decorative Clouds project for either adding some 3-D pop over a party table or these would look stunning in a baby’s nursery or even in a boy’s bedroom.
Scroll down for the HOW TO. But first some inspiration for how to display them-
They really add that extra wow factor to a party and can soften the aesthetic of a children’s bedroom. I love the added hanging gems to mimic raindrops in the design above. This would be great in a girl’s bedroom for some added color and bling. Add some battery operated lights to make them glow at night and create a decorative night light in a children’s bedroom-
Or hang them up with an AIRPLANE MOBILE in the corner of a nursery or boy’s room.
I could see these hanging over a dessert table or food table at an airplane themed party–Planes Disney movie party
a hot air balloon themed party- Up Movie party
or even at a Rainbow themed party– just add these clouds with cut curved stripes of different colors of cardstock paper or use blown up long balloons in rainbow colors to create the rainbow
Now for the tutorial on how to make your own fluffy clouds for your next party or for a nursery or children’s room.
HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY CLOUDS-
(5 to 10 per cloud) Latex balloons
(3 to 6 per cloud) Packing paper sheets
Water to mix with the wheat paste
Large mixing bowl
Permanent spray glue
Large bag of white polyester stuffing
(2 per cloud) Small ceiling hooks
Small spool of fishing line
Drill with 1/8-inch drill bit
- Inflate 5 to 10 balloons in varying sizes between 6-10 inches. Carefully use decorator’s tape to join the balloons together to make a cloud shape.
- Rip packing paper into several 4-inch strips and set to one side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wheat paste and water following the instructions on the packaging.
- Dip the strips of ripped paper into the wheat paste and lay over the balloons. Continue layering the paper following the shape of the balloons, smoothing it down as you go to make the cloud shape. Once the balloons are completely covered, allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
- In a well-ventilated area, apply spray glue all over the cloud, and then stick the polyester stuffing generously all over the surface. Allow glue to dry for 15 minutes before moving on to the next step.
- Turn the cloud over and pop the balloons with a pin through the paper casting.
Hanging the Clouds:
- Use a stud finder to locate a stud in the ceiling. Drill two 1/8-inch pilot holes into the stud; space them out 6 inches less than the length of the cloud. Screw in two ceiling hooks in the pilot holes. If you are using these for a party and don’t need them to be permanent- a ceiling plant hook will be just fine or if you don’t want a hole in your ceiling after the event use Command Party Ceiling Hooks–
- Cut two pieces of fishing line long enough to wrap around the width of the cloud. Position each thread so the cloud weight is evenly distributed for hanging.
- Tie each piece of thread in a tight knot, creating a large loop to hang the cloud on
Hang the cloud on the ceiling hooks by the thread loop.
Now you are all ready to celebrate, whatever your party theme may be, or ready to decorate a nursery or bedroom! So many ideas for using your DIY fluffy clouds!
Be sure to stop by any of our Etsy shops for any other home decor, nursery mobiles, or party favors and decorations you may need to compliment your clouds-
Thanks for stopping by The Party Fetti Blog today.